Skip to main content

The Political Potency of Prayer

Partly as a personal response to some of the issues raised in my (surprisingly popular) post last week prompted by some of the points of annoyance I encounter in my calling as a pastor/preacher, I thought I would return to Eugene Peterson's "The Contemplative Pastor" as part of my daily devotions for a wee while... And a few lines in I found a whole collection of thoughts piling up which required more mature reflection... so in the absence of any ability on my part to do such a thing, I thought I'd blog on a few of them... beginning, as we should with the discipline of prayer...
Peterson says:
"Prayer is a subversive activity. It involves a more or less open act of defiance against any claim by the current regime..."
In other words, prayer is not just an act of personal piety or a corporate ritual, but is a profoundly revolutionary political activity. To continue my thoughts in yesterday's post, not only is prayer a pledge of allegiance to a kingdom that is not of this world, but it is also our means of communicating with our commander in chief... That is why the public act of prayer at Belfast City Hall last month and the continuing 11:11 prayer initiative are not just mere gestures in the face of a hopeless situation... They are the very germ of hope itself, but, if taken to their ultimate conclusion are potentially much more unsettling than ANY flag protest, because the peace we pray for is not just peace and quiet so that Belfast and Northern Ireland can return to business as usual, making money but turning a blind eye to sectarian division, and a political and economic system that marginalises entire communities. The peace we pray for is the shalom of God, where righteousness is the rule of the day, not self-righteousness or respectability... where justice reigns, Biblical justice not simplistic retribution and certainly not judgementalism.

Last night I was briefly at a meeting looking at the direction of mission in our local Methodist District... I had to leave because of a migraine (not, I hasten to add brought on by the meeting...), and our District Superintendent, Heather Morris, began by emphasising the place of prayer in the mission of the church... She drew on a quote of Henry Ford (who, despite being a somewhat ethically suspect individual, did say some clever things):
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." 
Henry Ford
Heather went on to say that Christians might easily substitute "prayer" for "thinking" in that quote and it would make even more sense...

Prayer is fundamental to everything... my ministry as a pastor... the mission of the church... But it requires a discipline we do not always dedicate to it. But if we do, the difference it potentially makes in our lives, the life of the church and the world around us is incalculable. Peterson continues:
"[As we pray,] slowly but surely, not culture, not family, not government, not job, not even the tyrannous self can stand against the quiet power and creative influence of God's sovereignty. Every natural tie of family and race, every willed commitment to person and nation is finally subordinated to the rule of God."
As Jesus taught us to pray:
"Your kingdom come, your will be done..."
and start in me...

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-