Skip to main content

The Busy Pastor and the Adulterous Wife

A title like that should draw a little bit of interest (although I must say that the site has been taking more than normal hits recently - so thank you to those who have been forwarding my ramblings to others - I am deeply indebted to you)...
However it is influenced by some comments which Peterson makes in "The Contemplative Pastor" where he begins by saying that
'The one piece of mail certain to go unread into my wastebasket is the letter addressed to the "busy pastor." Not that the phrase doesn't describe me at times, but I refuse to give my attention to someone who encourages what is worst in me.'
As a busy pastor just about ALL unsolicited mail goes straight to recycling unless it has something that will REALLY capture my attention... If you are reading this then my title has worked for you in your busy life...
I regularly come down with what a friend describes as harassed priest syndrome, where you arrive late at one meeting only to have to leave it early to be somewhere else... (Indeed I wrote the first draft of this yesterday - then last night I ended up arriving 15 minutes late for a meeting I had already rescheduled because of unrealistic diary management). That is bad enough when it is a committee meeting... but where it is a pastoral encounter we are talking about, it is totally toxic... it erodes the relationship between the pastor and the person they are meeting with, sending them a message that they are so unimportant that they are being squeezed out by other things...
I'm not proud of my busyness - it is often a sign of my disorganisation and rather than the demands placed upon me... And have a suspicion that C.S. Lewis may well have been right in "Mere Christianity" and elsewhere that much busyness can ultimately be attributed to laziness.
It is also a function (and I will return to this again) of the our usurpation of the role of Messiah or the place of God... after all, it is only God who is omnipresent and omnipotent, yet often pastors try to create the impression that they are both.
I have got a lot better at saying no recently... although I often find that I have to say no to the things I would like to do because of the things I feel I have to do...
Being about our heavenly Father's business should not necessarily lead to busy-ness... Indeed, as Peterson suggests:
'the word busy is the synonym not of commitment but of betrayal. It is not devotion but defection. The adjective "busy" set as a modifier to "pastor" should sound to our ears like "adulterous" to characterise a wife or "embezzling" to describe a banker. It is an outrageous scandal, a blasphemous affront.'
Enough of such blasphemy... I'm going to really try to get to grips with this phenomenon in my own life and ministry, and NOT through the sacrifice of those elements of ministry that I find affirming and inspiring. But if I and other pastors are to do the same then we will need the help and support of each other (I'm in a particularly helpful peer-support group at present) AND those to whom we minister...
Please, brothers and sisters in Christ, do not connive with the fallacy that a busy pastor is a faithful pastor. Call us to account when we are running helter skelter rather than sympathize with us or make jokes about us, but also help us to filter out those things that are not really a good use of our time and energies...
Going back to the analogy Peterson uses between "busy pastor", "adulterous wife" and "embezzling banker", one of the sad things is that because of recent history "banker" needs no negative adjective to make it a comparison that no-one would wish for... The danger is that unless we address "busy-ness", the bald term pastor or minister may be held in the same sense of contempt... Seen as someone who is busy doing nothing of lasting import...
And any pastor seen resorting to websites advertising themselves as "sermon outlines for busy pastors" should be treated with the same opprobrium as one found trawling sites advertising "adulterous wives".

Selah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-