Skip to main content

Praying Pastors or Mini-Messiahs?

Another wee excerpt from Peterson's "The Contemplative Pastor":
"People would rather talk to the pastor than to God and so it happens that without anyone actually intending it, prayer is pushed to the sidelines.  And so pastors, instead of practicing prayer, which brings people into the presence of God, enter into the practice of messiah: we will do the work of God for God, fix people up, tell them what to do, conspire in finding the shortcuts by which the long journey to the Cross can be bypassed since we all have such crowded schedules right now. People love us when we this. It is flattering to be put in the place of God. It feels wonderful to be treated in this godlike way. And it is work that we are generally quite good at."
There is so much packed into a few lines here... but it essentially comes down to how we as pastors model things for those who have been entrusted to our care.
Do we model 
  • The Primacy of Prayer, or
  • The Minister as Mini-Messiah?
Yesterday I had a conversation with two friends that I don't see half enough of, and they were, with some justification, bemoaning the fact that they have been at a number of prayer "events" recently, where there has been a lot of talk about the need for prayer, but not a lot of time given over to the practice of it. Most damning was their comment that the ministers talking about prayer clearly didn't believe a word of what they were saying... 
I have frequently been heard to say that often we are the answers to our own prayers, however, we need to ask the questions first before we hear what the answer should be. Prayer must precede practical engagement with any problem, rather than simply be a prayer for God's benediction on what we have already begun. 
But this goes hand with my previous comments on busy-ness... we are too busy for prolonged prayer... we need to be up and going, and at best have substituted hastily shot-off "arrow prayers" on the hoof, for real, reflective prayer.
And this is further reinforced by the temptation to become a mini-messiah... To be seen as a fixer... Always only a phone call or an email away when needed. Who needs prayer to an insubstantial deity, when you can have an omnicompetent pastor on your doorstep in 5 minutes? 
Following the announcement of my upcoming move away from my current appointment I've had a number of people say lots of nice things about how helpful I've been and how they aren't looking forward to me moving (thankfully those who are cheering at the thought of my departure have kept their feelings to themselves). It's very flattering, but too much of that, at any time can feed an inappropriate sense of my importance in things... I am only A channel of God's grace... one among many. But to encourage people to turn first to me rather than to the source of that grace can do them profound spiritual harm... It encourages dependency on a fallible human being rather than on our always faithful heavenly Father.
And our public practice is shaped by what happens in private, where we are unobserved by anyone but God... James the Elder was said to be called camel-knees because of his devotion to prayer. But private prayer forms more than callouses on our knees... It determines the whole direction of our ministry, and may have profound implications on the spiritual lives of those entrusted to us.

So... that said... I'm off for a time of prayer...

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-