Skip to main content

Summoned to Prayer by Whistles

Yesterday morning I and about a thousand or so other people were summoned to prayer, not by bells (or by a muezzin in a minaret) but by guys in fluorescent waistcoats blowing whistles...
I was taking part in the 5 minute prayer vigil around Belfast City Hall, and as I said yesterday on facebook I was going to write a longer piece on it, but Stocki said it much better than I would in his Surmise. He even used a line I was gearing up to, the Iona Community's John Bell's oft repeated assertion that God's favourite colour is tartan... I suppose that line has stuck with me because I have a Scottish wife... But it certainly applied to yesterday, as I saw people from all sorts of denominational affiliations, social classes, theological bents and political affectations linking arms around city hall and looking out towards the 4 corners of this divided city as they prayed silently (for the most part) for it...
But that is, in many ways, only the beginning...
When we pray, the thing is that often God bounces our prayer right back at us and says "Right, what are you going to do about it?"
This morning there is another Peace Rally organised at the City Hall from 11am to 12noon... Again there are to be no political speeches and there will be a time of silent reflection at 11.55... Unfortunately this is exactly the time when most Christians will be at worship, and many others who wouldn't normally be at church will be there cheering on their children and grandchildren in Nativity Plays the length and breadth of this province... I hope that there will not be a further division of this society between those seeking peace from a faith perspective and those not from such a perspective... Indeed I would suggest that where possible ALL churches make space in their services to pause at 11.55 to pray for peace in solidarity with those of all faiths and none at the City Hall... 
But again, the question is "What then?"
If this current tension is to be resolved it will not simply be through the actions of our political "leaders" at City Hall and Stormont, indeed judging by past performance they will wait to see what way the biggest crowd is headed and jockey for position at the front of it. Rather it will be through people seeking to make a difference at a local level. Building bridges between people of different political and national identities... between people of faith and no faith... between generations... between those in power and those who feel powerless...
It is not just about "prophetic acts" at the seat of power or in the place of worship, but following the example of our incarnate God who came to bring real peace and reconciliation...

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-