Skip to main content

Surprised by Hope

The title of this post could have been used to describe the happenings on a Chicago golf course last night, but it actually refers to the book by former Bishop of Durham, N.T. (Tom) Wright. I apologise in advance to facebook friends and fellow Goodreads members as this is substantially the same review that I posted via Goodreads this morning... But I thought it was worth taking a slightly more leisurely look at some of the issues raised there.
I first read this book about four years ago on the recommendation of Glenn Jordan. It took me about four months to get through it the first time, as it is not an easy read... I actually finished it whilst on exchange in Grand Rapids, so it was a pleasant accident that our exchange partners, Geoff and Pam Hayes were with us yesterday evening for our "Good Book Group" who had chosen this book to read way back in March. So, whilst Europe and America were slugging it out in Medinah, a group of Irish and Americans (including some golf addicts - that is how committed our group is) met in our manse to discuss this book.
It is fair to say that it was not loved universally by all the participants in the group. Some found Tom Wright's approach patronising, arrogant and unnecessarily high-brow, others were not convinced by his evidence for the physical resurrection. His jumping off point, attacking some of the trappings of contemporary Christian funerals, including some well-loved hymns, didn't go down at all well, but even though I think he was pushing some of it to far, I think that the questions he raises are important, especially given that I am a Methodist, and that we traditionally sing our theology... I didn't even blanch when he attacked Charles Wesley. 
Actually I would argue that Wright, like the Wesley's, is too dogmatically wedded to an Anglican perspective on theology and practice, particularly as far as the sacraments of baptism and eucharist are concerned, but he was an Anglican bishop, so I'll forgive him that. 
Despite the criticism, I still hold to my previous assertions that this is one of the best pieces of theological writing I have read, ever, in that it is a thorough-going look at the key doctrine of Christianity, ie. the resurrection. In this it sits roughly half-way between his more scholarly "The Resurrection of the Son of God" and elements of his populist, easy-reading "Simply Christian." Here he deals with major misunderstandings about heaven and eternity, misunderstandings that are not just held in pop-religion, but are also widely promulgated from pulpits, particularly at funerals. This is important not just as an exercise in theological debate about the hereafter but also has major implications for our mission in the here and now. The issue of the resurrection is not just about an empty tomb and the reanimation of a corpse 2000 years ago, but reality of emptying churches and the reanimation of Christianity in the present. Its not about pie in the sky when you die, by and by, but, as he says in his much repeated sound bite "Heaven is important, but it isn't the end of the world." It's not about hope deferred, but finding and offering hope in the present. Or, as Christian Aid assert: "We believe in life before death."

After some in the group saying that this was heavy going, our choice for the next book is the classic "The Cost of Discipleship" by Bonhoeffer... It may be a couple of months before we meet again!
Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-