Skip to main content

Ever Feel Like you Just want to Run Away and Hide?

Readers of this blog will know by now that I do a monthly stint on a local independent radio station, offering reflections on the Sunday newspaper headlines and a "Review of the Week" as part of an early morning religious magazine programme, which in its latest incarnation is called "Dawn Reflections".
Today the headlines covered three broad areas depending on what papers you looked at.
The Irish nationals (eg. the Irish Independent and Irish Times) had stories critical of the past and present Irish governments' handling of the economic crisis, and reflected a spirit akin to Fraser from Dad’s Army telling us “We’re all doomed!”
The erstwhile broadsheets of Britain, meanwhile, filled their front pages with photographs of a beturbaned Saif al-Islam Gaddhafi, who was captured yesterday trying to flee Libya... (Although the Observer also found space to highlight a letter from Church of England Archbishops and Bishops critical of the current indescriminate ConDem benefit caps... while the Telegraph led with a broadside from Prince Philip about windfarms - he always was a forward thinking individual!)
Of course the British tabloids were, as usual, more interested in so-called "reality" shows, with both the People and Star covering "I'm a Z-List Celebrity Get me on to this!" and X-Factor... Actually both of them carried ridiculous "shock" headlines concerning young X-Factor contestant Amelia (you'd almost think I knew who she was!), and the risk of her going blind through diabetes... Responsible journalism at its best!!!
However, despite all of this, the story that caught my eye in the newspapers this week was the tale of a prolonged spat between the faceless people behind Facebook and the author Salman Rushdie. Apparently they weren’t allowing him to call himself Salman on his account, insisting that he use his actual first name of Ahmed… Mr Rushdie was a little put out by this and started a vigorous campaign using that other social media site Twitter, ridiculing Facebook’s stance. Then on Tuesday he announced that facebook had backed down and even apologised before reinstating his facebook account. It all seemed a bit bizarre, given that this was the same man who had to go into hiding for a substantial period of time because of a fatwah against him in the wake of his book the Satanic Verses – and here he was involved in a very public struggle over his identity in the virtual world of social media…
I suppose it was particularly important for him because his name is so firmly lodged in people’s consciousness… and as an author it is important that it should remain so… For others, such as myself, our names aren’t quite so important… Everyone gets my surname wrong, calling me Compton, Kempton, Trumpton or Captain instead of Campton… And this week someone called me David Cameron… A different guy ALL together…
But thankfully, in our relationship with God, he not only knows our names, he knows all there is to know about us… Hopefully we will never need to go into hiding as Salman Rushdie once did, or flee the country like Saif Gaddhafi, but the Psalmist tells us that there is no hiding from or fleeing from God…
Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?
Psalms 139:7 (ANIV)
God knows where we are all the time… without us having to check-in on facebook, and is there with us. He stands with us in times of joy and sorrow, struggle and serenity… in times of hopefulness and anxiety... in the face of economic and health problems...
God said to his people Israel and he says to those who will come to him through Christ:
Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
the flame shall not consume you.
Isaiah 43:1-2 (RSV)
Nothing that lies ahead, personally, nationally, and certainly not as churches, should daunt us, as we stand with the God who knows us each by name…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-