Skip to main content

Monument or Movement?

What do the ruins of Coventry Cathedral, the Provincial Government Buildings in Christchurch, New Zealand, the island of Saint Helena and Preston Bus Station all have in common?

Well, apparently this week they have all been included in the World Monuments Fund's 2012 list of historic buildings in danger of loss… The ruins of Coventry Cathedral and Napoleon’s place of incarceration on St. Helena are at risk because of natural erosion, the Christchurch buildings have been endangered because of the earthquake earlier in the year, while Preston Bus Station is being threatened with demolition… It is one of 3 buildings on the list which are described as examples of British Brutalism, along with the Central Library in Birmingham, and the Heywood Gallery in the South Bank Centre in London… Frankly, I think that the only reason for keeping any of those 3 is as a warning to future generations of what NOT to do with thousands of tonnes of concrete.

This list is produced every year, and we’ve had two Northern Irish buildings on it in the past: in 2008 Richhill House in Armagh was included … whilst in 2010 they listed Carlisle Memorial Church, referred to by some of my fellow Methodists as the erstwhile Cathedral of Belfast Methodism (and the photo at the head of this post).

I love old buildings and finding out about their history (as my children know to their cost on holiday) and am appalled at some of the unnecessary cultural vandalism carried out in the name of progress… particularly where that progress involves shopping malls and multi-storey carparks. I’m with Churchill who said “We shape our buildings: thereafter they shape us.” However, buildings are not the be all and end all of a society… The mark of a truly great society is not how it maintains its old buildings… but how it looks after its old people… Not how we pour money into monuments to the past, but how we invest in the children who are our future…

And this is even more the case with the church… The world is constantly changing and church buildings quickly become monuments to a bygone age… some more attractive than others… I doubt that anyone would rush to put a preservation order on my church building in Ballybeen… But the church is not supposed to be a monument but a movement… not a building but the body of Christ… And whilst the loss of the spire of Carlisle Memorial may radically alter the Belfast skyline, we need to ask ourselves what positive difference does the continued presence of countless congregations across this land make to the society around us?

Well, this was my last BBC Radio Ulster Thoughts for the Day for a while broadcast this morning... I was only supposed to do September, but due to public demand I was asked back for another week - if truth be told, they wanted me to do another week as I escaped doing one on the Friday before 9/11 as they asked the US Consul to do it instead...
Actually, I wrote this a couple of days in advance as I knew I would be busy all Wednesday and Thursday, and when I sent it to the producer for approval, said that I hoped nothing significant happened in the interim... of course since then we've had the PM getting into trouble over an ill-drafted speech referring to  Credit Card debts, Sarah Palin saying that she's not running for President next year, and, biggest of all for all the Apple addicts out there, the death of Steve Jobs...
But I decided to go with this anyway, on the basis that I didn't have any time to write anything else as I hadn't originally planned to be writing anything for Thought for the Day this week!... Ah well, you can't be up to the minute all the time...

Comments

this maybe a little after the fact but the Christchurch provincial buildings are almost a pile of rubble after the earthquake of Feb 22 2011. see http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/5750241/Provincial-chambers-on-world-watch-list

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-