Skip to main content

How Should we Remember?



Last week Channel 4 Newsreader Jon Snow got into trouble in the media over his reluctance to wear a poppy on TV ahead of Remembrance Sunday (actually he has form on this, so perhaps this isn't news at all!) A viewer left a comment on his blog admonishing him for not wearing the poppy and so dishonouring British war dead and our troops in Afghanistan…
Mr Snow’s response was to refer to this type of attitude as “poppy fascism” before going on to say that it was to protect our freedoms, including the freedom of when or if we want to wear a poppy that British soldiers died in the last world war and continue to die in current conflicts… He said he prefers to wear his on Remembrance Sunday in Church rather than for weeks coming up to that date on the TV.
I have to say that I agree with Mr Snow’s response… I referred last Sunday to the great price of our freedom have been purchased… And I will wear my poppy in proud remembrance of that fact both today and this coming Sunday (all be it with a white poppy to mark my commitment to peace and peacemaking)… but it is wrong to dictate to someone how they should remember the sacrifice of others…
I also said that last Sunday was our monthly communion service, where we remember, not the sacrifice of soldiers in war… but the sacrifice made by the prince of peace… And in a simple sharing of bread and wine we remember the freedom that he won for us through his death… Not simply social and political freedoms, but freedom from sin and death…
In a few weeks time a new "Eucharistic Fellowship" will be having its first public event in one of the churches of which I am nominally the superintendent. Those organising the event say:

“As Christians from different traditions, Roman Catholic and Protestant, we are thankful for the wide-embracing love of Christ, proclaimed and received in the
celebration of Communion. We acknowledge the differences which exist in theological and liturgical practice and request respect for those differences, particularly in the Eucharistic discipline of the Roman Catholic Church. However, we believe firmly that the joy of being present at the Eucharistic worship of another Christian tradition is greater than the pain experienced by observing this Eucharistic discipline. We hope that we will contribute to bringing nearer the day on which we may share a common Eucharist.”
The first celebration of Communion will be in Knock Methodist Church on Monday 22nd November at 8.00pm to which all are welcome. Subsequent celebrations will be held on January 25 (Catholic), March 7 (Church of Ireland) and May 3 (Presbyterian) with specific venues to be published later.
Its on a Monday night, and I don't do Monday nights, and I don't entirely buy into their logic, but I do applaud what they are seeking to do... We have a lot to learn from our varied practices in remembering the Lord's death... And I look forward to the day when all of those who seek to follow Christ can share at one table, wherever that table is... But I hope that no-one ever dictates to me, or expects me to dictate to anyone else the rights and wrongs of how we remember Christ's sacrifice for us.
And the symbols (and liturgy) are not everything. Just because Jon Snow doesn't wear a poppy except in the Remembrance Service in his local church, it doesn't mean he doesn't remember the soldiers who have given their lives in the past and who are still serving overseas, And when it comes to Christ's death... it isn't something that we should remember during a formal service of Holy Communion (however frequent that may be... and John Wesley recommended daily communion...) but much more regularly than that:
In the earliest record of the Jesus words at the Last Supper he says:


"This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."


(1 Corinthians 11:24-25)

There are those who argue that this is Jesus referring to every time the disciples celebrate Passover, and there is a possibility of that, but it is more likely that he is suggesting that every time they break bread and share wine together, not just in a sacramental meal, but in every late night supper, in every shared meal... That we should remember that we are bound together there not simply by the rules of table fellowship and friendship, but by the body and blood of Jesus himself.

(An adaptation of my Just a Moment for Downtown Radio this morning)
Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-