Skip to main content

The City... of God?



“Earth hath not anything to show more fair…” The first line of a poem by the English romantic poet William Wordsworth… And what was he referring to? A beautiful seascape… A range of majestic mountains… The tree-clad, rolling hills of Cumbria… A rainbow in a leaden sky… No… As many of you will know from your schooldays (although Wordsworth probably isn’t taught in school these days), it’s from a poem entitled “Composed upon Westminster Bridge” and refers to the city of London in the light of dawn… the great heart of Victorian Britain…
Now I like London… My thoughts were drawn to this poem because I’m flying over to London today for a meeting in Westminster Central Hall tomorrow… And next month my wife and I have booked a long weekend there to do some galleries and shows… But I’ve never quite understood Wordsworth’s sense of rapture when looking at London from that bridge… especially since in his day it would have been cloaked in smoke and the river flowing sluggishly beneath his feet would have been somewhat fragrant, so say the least…
We tend to have a love hate relationship with cities… I’ve been a city boy most of my life and I love the trappings of urban living… the convenience of everything being at hand… But I like escaping to the country when I can. Globally humanity gravitates towards cities… indeed worldwide, recently we have just tipped over into the situation where more than 50% of people on earth live in urban settings… But given half a chance, having made their money, people retreat to rural or at least sub-urban bliss. And within the church we’ve never been terribly comfortable in inner city settings… Many of our hymns and religious metaphors, drawn as they are from the predominantly rural Palestine of scripture, are pastoral and agricultural…
Yet the trajectory of scripture, as with the trajectory of humanity is from a pastoral paradise to a city… The city where God dwells with his people… The meeting I’m going to in London, is supposed to be looking at how we as people of faith can get engaged in our local communities… and one of the issues we need to address is how can we help make the city a fairer place for all… addressing the needs of people drawn to and feeling that they are trapped within cities…


But perhaps a good starting place is to recognise, with Wordsworth, the beauty, and grace of God that lies around us… whether we are in London, Londonderry, Derry, or the teeming metropolis of Lisburn… Even black Belfast, as a friend used to call it…
On the same edition of "Good Morning Ulster" today on which this was the "Thought for the Day" there was an item about civic pride, or lack of it, in Belfast... Do churches not have a role in that? Like EBM and their amazing Skainos scheme to redevelop part of Inner East Belfast. Or even to just encourage us to look around in the light of dawn and recognise that God’s already at work in the city…

(An adaptation of the Thought for the Day on Radio Ulster's Good Morning Ulster programme today.)

ps. Glenn Jordan, over on Crookedshore is on a similar theme (indeed it is a familiar theme with him) in his reference to the new book "Discovering the Spirit in the City.")









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-