Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Politics and Democracy



“Once every five years, everyone chooses to forget what they’ve learnt. Democracy in action.”
The Doctor (as scripted by Stephen Moffatt)


As unusual as it is for me to be cynical about anything, this timely quote in last Saturday's Dr. Who sent me scurrying to my books of quotations to see what others have said about politics, politicians and the precious gift of democracy. It seems as if, from the earliest of times, people had a pretty low opinion of the whole sordid business:
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to office."
Aesop

"Vote for the man who promises least; he'll be the least disappointing."
Bernard Baruch

"it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
Winston Churchill

"Democracy consists of chosing your dictators, after they've told you what they think you want to hear."
Alan Coren

"The word ‘politics’ is derived from the word ‘poly’, meaning ‘many’, and the word ‘ticks’, meaning ‘blood-sucking parasites’."
Larry Hardiman

"If you want to succeed in politics, you must keep your conscience well under control."
David Lloyd George

"If experience teaches us anything at all, it teaches us this: that a good politician, under democracy, is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar."
H. L. Mencken

"A fool and his money are soon elected."
Will Rogers

"he knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career."
and
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
and
"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."
George Bernard Shaw

But now... having sated my natural cynicism, let me introduce a more Biblical perspective on this democratic politics malarky... where Paul tells Timothy:

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."
1 Timothy 2:1-2

In a democracy, I suppose that means that we pray not only for those seeking political power, but the "king-makers" too, that is, us... the electorate... Theoretically that is where power and authority lies. May we use it prayerfully and wisely.

Shalom

Comments

gadgetguy said…
It could be argued that democracy sent Jesus to the cross.
yeah, democracy with a healthy dose of corruption...
gadgetguy said…
No argument on the corruption, but I fail to see the distinction from today's democracy.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-