Skip to main content

Election Watch 1

Whilst the rest of the UK will watch the first presidential, sorry, party leaders' debate tomorrow evening, I'll be doing something more useful... like banging my head off a brick wall... Because it doesn't matter who we vote for here in Northern Ireland... the government will still get in... and whether it is Labour, Tory or (lets indulge in fantasy here) LibDem we won't have a hand in it... Well, that would normally be the case... but this time round the Tories have tied themselves to the previously sinking ship that is the UUP...
There were historic links between the Unionists and Conservatives so this is not entirely without precedent... but it has served to make my personal electoral choice much more complicated... You see I tend towards the left on the electoral map (you'd never guess) and although I feel enormously let down by the "New" Labour government, and (worryingly) have found myself agreeing (occasionally) with some of the things being said by the Conservatives recently (although they have been saying mutually contradictory things in order to broaden their appeal so perhaps that's not so surprising), the statistical likelihood of me ever voting Tory is vanishingly small... But I am also not too enamoured with my current MP... who also happens to be the First Minister of the NI Assembly and leader of the DUP. And the only candidate likely to challenge his almost unassailable majority in this constituency is the UUP candidate... the solicitor, former Ireland rugby international, and active campaigner on community relations, Trevor Ringland...
So who do I vote for? Tory Trevor or Mr Robinson... Certainly the battle between them is hotting up as evidenced by a billboard and this related blog post that I read this morning...
This murky mess is complicated even further by the fact that the DUP and UUP (and by extension their Tory partners) in Fermanagh are both standing back to allow an agreed independent unionist candidate a free run to try to unseat the current Sinn Fein MP... This led to accusations that the Tories were backing old fashioned sectarian politics. But the Conservatives were quick to point out that Sinn Fein abstain from attending parliament in Westminster, therefore they felt at liberty to arrange an electoral pact there, whilst they have not agreed to do the same to unseat the SDLP's Alasdair MacDonnell in South Belfast.
But anyway... as I continue to wrestle with my dilemma I was amused to be pointed in the direction of this 2006 hatchet job on David "Blair-lite" Cameron, by Scrabo Power... Its only a few minutes long and is infinitely more entertaining than tomorrow night's debate will be...



Comments

Jonathan Rea said…
Thanks! A wry but hearty laugh at the end of a long day.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-