Skip to main content

They Tuck you Up...



Philip Larkin's famously misanthropic "This be the Verse" will probably not be quoted much in Fathers' Day Services tomorrow... Although there is a certain truth in it, and whether mothers or fathers do more of the ****ing up in general is debatable. However, I discovered a few weeks ago, thanks to Maggi Dawn, this more positive riposte to Larkin...
They tuck you up, your mum and dad
They read you Peter Rabbit, too.
They give you all the treats they had
And add some extra, just for you.

They were tucked up when they were small,
(Pink perfume, blue tobacco-smoke),
By those whose kiss healed any fall,
Whose laughter doubled any joke.

Man hands on happiness to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
So love your parents all you can
And have some cheerful kids yourself.
Adrian Mitchell


To be honest, I can never remember being tucked up, or tucked in, by my own Dad. He wasn't that kind of man, or from that kind of social background. But I do hope that my own kids will have positive memories of being tucked up by me, no matter how I may have ****ed them up in other ways.

But let me finish with a story told by Jeff Lucas. I don't know where I came across this, perhaps someone else can supply the reference. But Jeff had received a phone call to tell him his Dad was dying. He rushed to the airport and got the next plane, and was soon at his Dad's bedside in the hospital. His Dad was conscious, and as he held his hand and smoothed his hair he smiled, but said nothing. His Dad hadn't been able to speak for four years since a major stroke. Jeff knew that time was short, and he said: "Dad, I love you so very much. You know that don't you?" His Dad smiled, but then his eyes clouded over. He was struggling to say something but he couldn't. But for Jeff, everything had been said some months before, without a word being exchanged.
Jeff had been staying overnight at his parents' house whilst on a speaking tour, and he was staying in his old room. He was tired after a long day and went to bed early, when there was a gentle knock on the door. His Dad came in and knelt down silently by the bed. He took the blankets and sheets and tucked Jeff in, just as he had 35 years before. He kissed his cheek, brushed a stray hair from his forehead, and left. Jeff lay there in the dark aware that he, a 40 year old adult had just been tucked in and made feel warm and secure by his frail old father. And it felt good...

Whatever your relationship with your earthly father, may you know the love of your heavenly Father (who is described as being a father even to the fatherless)... not just for one day in the year, but today, tomorrow, and every day...

ps. imonk just posted some interesting questions/challenges for parents of teenaged children. Worth a look.


Counters
Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-