Skip to main content

The Adventure Continues


Keeping my word in not posting regularly... I missed a whole day!
During that day I was participating in an annual Campton tradition: going somewhere and giving people a lot of money to shake me about and flip me head over heels in the name of entertainment. Two years ago it was Disneyland Paris. Last year it was Port Aventura, on the Costa Dorada in Spain... This year it was Michigan's Adventure... And a jolly nice adventure was had by all.

Every theme park has its own characteristics: Disney in Florida is cloyingly saccharine, whilst Disneyland Paris is delivered with a certain Gallic shrug and "Boff!" Port Aventura is as well themed as any American park... And a good deal more so than Michigan's Adventure, which has a tenuous tie in with Charlie Brown, Snoopy and all the Peanuts gang, although you would never notice that inside (apart from in the gift shop). But that didn't stop it from being a thoroughly good day out.

The water rides got me as wet as I have ever been with my clothes on... And the wooden coasters are the longest and fastest I have ever been on. Indeed Shivering Timbers is in the world's top ten on both counts... Which pleased my daredevil 7 year old son no end when he got to go on it through stretching every sinue of his body to make the 48inch limit. While he was wooping and hollering his way along the backstraight , I was wondering whether Deb DeVaux, the physiotherapist at Faith UMC, wouldn't mind addressing the damage it was doing to my aging spine... Then thought I was having a heart attack... Just imagine the ignominy of dying on a rollercoaster beside your 7 year old son.

Anyway I survived that and most of the other death-defying coasters in the park... and some great flumes in the attached waterpark...

All in all a serious day of fun.

But today it occured to me that our day at the amusement park is a perfect metaphor for life in the western world today... We pay out heaps of money to be entertained... to escape the world outside... Turning fear into fun, by delivering it in closely controlled doses... Around every corner there must be new attractions to distract us from the hum-drum nature of life... Because God forbid that we should ever be bored... Or be forced to find something interesting or useful to do!
I'm not being a grouch... Let's face it, I think I enjoy the amusement parks more than the kids do! But once a year is enough...
The problem is, I think the western world is amusing itself to death...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-