Skip to main content

Journalling a Journey


I am a hypocrite of the highest order...

I'll come back to that later, but first to say that I haven't posted anything for a week because I have been working flat out to get ready for my US exchange in Grand Rapids... clearing my desk... preparing material to take with me... cleaning house (well Sally largely did that, doing without sleep in the process)... preparing material for our exchange partners etc. Add to that the fact that I had another funeral (people die at the most inconvenient of times), had to dash back and forward to doctors and hospital with Owain (who not only has a broken arm but also tonsillitis) and I just ran out of time to even look at the internet, never mind post anything.
But now I am safely ensconced here in Grand Rapids, and I thought I would start as I mean to go on by posting some reflections... And in this case it doesn't reflect too well on me.
You see, I'm forever telling people things like "The journey is as important as the destination..." and that journey or piligrimage is an important concept for the church to get hold of... that's one of the things I hope to share with my new friends here at Faith UMC in Grand Rapids, and why I've brought them a copy of the above picture of the Bantry Boat, by Wildgoose Studios as a wee gift, remembering a previous generation of Irish pilgrims who crossed the Atlantic to America... but in a Currach rather than an Airbus 330.
That is all very well and good, but when it comes to real, honest to goodness journeys, such as the 22 hour trek it took to get here, I am a complete bundle of neuroses... and I make life almost totally unpleasant for everyone around me. Starting out 40 minutes late from home didn't help, cutting short our handover meeting with our partners in Dublin Airport... 45 seconds as opposed to 45 minutes. But check in went well and I calmed down, until, as we were descending into Washington DC, I realised that we hadn't been given boarding cards for the next leg of our journey to Detroit. This then precipitated 45 minutes of anxiety on the queue through immigration and customs... But in the end I learned that they don't do through boarding on United and the issuing of boarding passes was straightforward... But by that stage we only had 25 minutes to get through security before our flight was due to board, which led to me descending into the sort of person you really don't want to be around... I would have stampeded over my mother to get through security and onto those peculiar shuttles that ferry you around Dulles International, but everything was conspiring against us making our flight... the man in front of us had lost his ID, the security men wanted to swipe Owain's plastercast but there were no machines available... Everything was leading to raised blood-pressure and missing that flight, until, when we got to the gate, we learned that the flight had only just been delayed and would now not be departing for a further 2 hours.
All that anxiety for nothing.
Yet isn't that always the way.
So, remember, the journey is as important as the destination - therefore, travel well.
But if you remind me of this blog the next time I am wound up over travel arrangements, I might well do something unpleasant with an itinerary...
ps. My grateful thanks to all those who helped on the journey on both sides of the Atlantic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-