Skip to main content

Trivial Pursuits


I am a trivia nut. Ask me anything important like my brothers' birthdays or the name of a person I have just been speaking to, or (and this is one that drives my wife nuts) the weight, and gender of a friend's newborn baby, and I cannot remember it for a second... Ask me something totally inconsequential... like the date of the battle of Bannockburn, or the given name of Cary Grant and I can tell you in an instant (1314 and Archibald Leach respectively).
Why that is I don't know, but it does mean that more than one casual acquaintence has claimed me as a "friend" that they would like to phone if they ever get on to the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" quiz programme... and few people can be bothered playing "Trivial Pursuits" with me...
But there is definitely something about the way that I remember things... I don't do it consciously, but I make connections across different areas of knowledge, so I'll make mental links between seemingly unconnected subjects... theology and football, rock music and ancient history, theatre and zoology...
At the recent consultation on the Theology and Practice of Reconciliation, Derek Poole made yet another of his memorable asides, whilst suggesting that we should not dismiss the seemingly "trivial". He pointed out that the origin of the word "Trivia" was the Latin "Tri-viam" or "3 ways." When first used in Modern English in 1589 it was used to refer to the street corner, and consequently commonplace, or vulgar, but quickly came to mean "of little importance or significance." Within the University context the Trivium, or "Three Ways" referred to the so called Liberal Arts that were taught first in mediaeval universities, namely grammar, rhatoris and logic, before moding on to the more difficult Quadrivium of arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy. Thus, trivial came to mean, basic or inferior, knowledge.
The danger that we fall into as Christians is that we try so hard to be followers of the Way, that we don't appreciate the different junctions along the way, the street-corners where people meet up and chat about this and that. The places where relationships are formed. No, are on the highway... headed for a heavenly destination... no time to stop on street corners and chat aimlessly. And we, like Oxbridge students, look down on disciplines and activities that are not at the core of our curriculum as students of "the Way."
But this produces an impoverished appreciation of God's world, and a much diminished ability to engage with those who cross our paths. So much of what we sneer at as "trivial" is actually the warp and weft of people's everyday existence, while so much of what we regard as vitally important has absolutely no contemporary or eternal significance.
So instead of charging head-long down the heavenly way, perhaps we need to stop from time on the street-corners. Reading a trashy novel. Listening to Radio 1. Watching Eastenders... actually, no, I draw the line at that...
But certainly "the way" that I read about in the pages of the Gospels, was a meandering one; ready to stop for a while by a well for a chat with a woman of uncertain background; ready to enjoy a good meal with others of a dubious pedigree; ready to share a story or two with friends and foes alike.
The Way of the Gospels is more a dander through a marketplace, than a headlong dash along an autobahn.
So, slow down and enjoy the journey a bit more.
Anyone fancy a game of "Trivial Pursuits"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-